- Discontinue the use of technology at least 1 to 2 hours before bedtime.
- Help children feel comfortable sleeping in darkness and limit the use and brightness of nightlights. If nightlights are required, make sure to turn them off or dim them once children are asleep.
- Purchase blackout shades. These shades limit outside light penetrating into rooms, so kids can sleep deeply until they need to awake.
- Upload the free software Flux onto your computing devices. Flux adjusts the computer’s display to the time of day and limits certain wavelengths at night.
- Dim computers and televisions in the night hours.
Dr. Erica Warren is the author, illustrator and publisher of multisensory educational materials at Good Sensory Learning and Dyslexia Materials. She is also the director of Learning to Learn, in Ossining, NY. To learn more about her products and services, you can go to www.goodsensorylearning.com, www.dyslexiamaterials.com & www.learningtolearn.biz